Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Snow again!

Well my prediction was correct. It definitely snowed again. There is a good covering of snow all about at the moment and it does look very scenic. Its amazing how much brighter the evenings are with the ambient light that just reflects off the snow.

Cooba is once again very excited about the snow. He runs around in it just sniffing everything and ends up with white powder all over his nose (he kind of looks like a drug addicted dog at times)! Emma had to drive home from a friends house in the snow so she took it kind of easy even though we have studded tyres on our VW Polo. It is kind of eery driving in the snow as well. The snow flakes rush past the car as you are driving and it kind of looks like you are going at warp-speed in Star Wars - very cool.

I drove to work today as (a) it was snowy all around but (b) I had to come in early to prepare for a presentation I had to give to a client on the work I have been doing. That was this morning and I think it went well - they seemed happy with the information at least. It still brings out more work to do which is great as I can't stand not having anything to do. In my first week or two people were telling me to enjoy the feeling of no work - but I just couldn't do it. Now I have more work I feel much more energized and enthusiastic about everything. I guess it is important to have some form of balance though I guess.

Speaking of cold conditions again I found a photo on my camera that I took during the last snowing and cold bout. It is of one of the many harbours around Stavanger. You can see the boats in their moorings/berths and a trail where one of the boats has left its moorings and 'broken' through the ice to get out to sea. The amazing thing though is that this isn't fresh water - it is pure seawater and that stuff is pretty hard to freeze so it gives you some indication of how cold it can get. Anyway I thought it was a good photo.

Also it appears as though out container has arrived in Stavanger. We are still waiting on customs clearances which apparently should be happening soon. That means that our amazing coffee machine will be ready and installed within days! Very exciting to have proper coffee again!
Also I have been told that my permanent Norwegian ID (or social security) number has been processed. That means we can get a local bank account and then apply for home loans. It would be good to have somewhere with a garden where Cooby can run around in. He went on a rampage last week and ate some items around the house. Funnily enough (I thought it was funny at least) he only chewed Emma's things! Her brand new $500 prescritpion sunglasses, a pair of her shoes, her travel pillow, and other things were chewed up in his rampage. Nothing of mine was touched! So we went to IKEA and got a whole heap of soft toys for him to destroy. Yesterday was his first day with the new toys and none of Emma's items were chewed so he is being a good boy again. I guess he was just bored (or annoyed with Emma).
Anyway, thats about all for now. Blog ya later.
JIr

4 comments:

  1. Great to hear your news Joel, Em and Coobs. The pics are terrific as we can get a better perspective of what you have been up to and where you are living. Some exciting adventures for you all. Not much happening here, work, study and general home 'stuff'. Going to lobster cave tonight for dinns- it's mum's first year anniversary - so looking forward to spending this time with Dad, Deb and John.
    Off to our farm tomorrow - looking forward to some R&R (working 10 days straight - is a bit tiring) - not that building a home as owner builders is not taxing, it's quite different as you know; the peace and quiet and scenary makes this time so worthwhile.

    Anyway happy blogging
    Stay safe
    Love Sharyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joel

    Maybe Coobs went nuts because you two are making moonshine wearing those orange survival suits and then testing the product on him. Must be fair spin out for the pooch. Emma you should probably tell AJoel to lay off the homebrand before he goes riding as well.

    Chow Skandos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Joel and Em, An Amazing experience already and its only just begun. Email me the number we can call you on and remind me how many hours different we are to you so i kno when to call. Everything is good for us. Isabel is going great guns. Completely toilet trained, no nappies (even overnight) and only 1 accident in about 6 weeks. (it is exciting). Chris is well, busy as usual. I had a tough day, my first patient died on me. She was 98 but it is still very sad. We Enjoy the blog. Jonno

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not your new sunnies? Bugger! What are you going to do? I know they only cost you about $10, but still...
    Joel - That photo is great.
    Em, did you hear the news - Aaron Hamill may never play footy again. EVER. :o( very sad (for us spectators ;o) )
    Keep on blogging. xx Sal

    ReplyDelete