Sunday, June 10, 2007

Hmmmm ... USA

Well after a surprisingly long series of flights (couple of hours to Frankfurt, 8 .5 to Chicago, then another 4.5 to San Diego with some 4 hours stopover in each place) I made it to San Diego. I got in late at night and headed straight for the hotel where I crashed out.

Anyway the conference doesn't start till tomorrow so I figured I would head into town and have a look around. So I caught a cab into the city - nice enough cab driver, but I just wasn't impressed with downtown. It was just buildings, rubbish, streets, and there wasn't a lot to see. I went for a decent walk but just couldn't find too much. I was at the largest shopping mall in town and it wasn't even a pooftenth of what Chadstone is. I contemplated going and watching a movie but i though nahh there has to be something better to see. So I headed towards the port area. After passing about 30 beggars (and spotting the first beggar i've seen on a mobile phone!) I made it to the port area amongst derelict blocks and more rubbish. The water was pretty filthy (certainly nothing on Norway's crystalline blue water). Anyway there were quite a few boats and things around so I took a shot of this aircraft carrier which has been converted into a permanent floating naval museum:




It wasn't as big as I imagined aircraft carriers to be although I'm sure there are different sizes of these big beats. Here were some cool planes on the top.


I also came across "Stars and Stripes" which was Dennis Connors America's Cup yacht from 1995.

I then decided to go to "Fashion Valley" which is the biggest shopping mall in San Diego area. It maybe was about 3% as good as Chadstone. So all-in-all there wasn't many good things to say about the US just yet. I plan to go down to the beaches either tonight or tomorrow when the conference starts and hopefully that will be a bit better but with American's lust for big pick up trucks, smog, filthy neighbourhoods, and run-down old buildings, I'm not too much of a fan of their consumerist attitude. I certainly much prefer the clean waters, clean air, beautiful and relatively untouched fjords, amazing drinking water, and relaxed lifestyle of Stavanger.

I spoke with Em as she got home from her fun Saturday without me. She had had a couple (read: many) of wines so was pretty happy to chat! She went to Tim Minchin who is a very funny Aussie Comedian. Click on the youtube link below if you want a good laugh. Anyway she went with Al (the scot), and Mari and Kev and apparently had a really good night.



Emma is going to be spending Sunday in the garden with Cooba doing some much needed weeding. I'm looking forward to getting back and working on the garden. Anyway, till next time - have it good.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joel,
    San Diego is a dump. If you're still over there, hire a car and drive down to Tijuana and Ensenada in Mexico, much more fun, believe me!

    Anyway, I'm glad you realise how much nicer it is to live in Norway than over in the US of A, and congratulations with your new abode in Stavanger, looks great.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete