Monday, May 14, 2007

Joel's Birthday

Its been a while between posts, but that doesn't mean we've been twiddling our thumbs! I had a work trip to New York (upstate, Wappingers Falls and Fishkill, 1.5 hrs north of NYC). It was a productive work visit and great for the website I have been working on as project manager. Its launched now, you can take a look http://simulation.laerdal.com if you're interested.

The weekend before I went away was Joel's birthday, so we hurridly put together a party. Invites went out by email on Friday for a 'do' at our place on Saturday night. We had a great turn out, around 15-17 people I think, which was plenty for our tiny flat. People were sitting on milk (aka beer) crates and brewing tubs as we had a shortage of chairs! We ran our music through the speakers on the tv (!) so while it was a bit haphazard, it was still a great party. Everyone sang happy birthday in English, then in Norwegian which was pretty cool! Joel's homebrew was very popular with our guests and I think helped get things going!

At about midnight we all headed down into town (5mins walk) and went to a bar/club called Arkivet (Archive). Very groovy decor and fantastic music! The DJ started with stuff from the 50's (think Dirty Dancing soundtrack - sorry if thats not a helpful reference for the boys but the chicks will know what I'm talking about I'm sure!), then moved into some classic 80's stuff, Prince, Madonna etc etc. Really fun and everyone was up dancing. We dragged ourselves home at about 2.30 (actually Joel dragged me home, I was having a great time and didn't want to leave!), as Joel was going sailing the next day and needed some sleep. I have to say I think it was the best 'night out' I've had in Stavanger so far, being surrounded by great new friends was what made it so good.

So we are treating that as a very good practice run for our housewarming in June some time (date TBC).

The weekend just gone (happy mothers day Mum!) was great, we were invited to a cabin in Josenfjord by our friends Mari and Kev, Josenfjord is a little town on a fjord about 2hrs drive from Stavanger. Joel, Ryan and I headed up on Saturday morning. I won't write too much as Joel has photos and will be able to write a little more, but it was so lovely, waking up in a cabin 2m from the fjord with the sound of water lapping and birds chirping floating in the open window was absolutely perfect. We did some fishing, Joel can tell you about the 80cm Cod that got away ;).......

Missing you all :)
Emma.

No comments:

Post a Comment