Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Preikestolen ... again!

Emma's old job as Marketing Manager for Laerdal Australia was taken by a nice guy named Dean. Dean was visiting Stavanger this week at the head office doing some training and as he is reasonably fit and outdoorsy he was pretty keen to head up to Preikestolen. This is the big rock I took Cooba, Brad and Ryan up to about 3 weeks ago. It was another magical day in Stavanger on Saturday so we jumped at the chance. Emma hasn't had the opporunity to head up there since her visit in 2004 so was also very keen.
For the regular readers I guess I don't need to get too verbose with the description of the hike up to the top, but needless to say it was again very enjoyable. There was actually almost no snow or ice to be seen this time at the top (apart from the surrounding mountains of course) so it was a very different hike.

Anyway we got to the top and found out that Dean was scared of heights! Well sitting on the edge of a vertical rock hanging over the water 600m below is probably not on height scared peoples 'to-do' list. But Dean did muster up the courage to have a look over the edge.



































Emma, Cooba and I also had our photo session.

































As you can see the rock and obviosuly the view is absolutely stunning. Even looking at the photos I enjoy it again.









I took an additional short hike up higher than the rock itself and the view down to the top of Preikestolen was truly amazing again. It was a bit sketchy in parts coming down as I needed to get some good angles for the photos so got into some precarious positions but was definitely worth it.

We finished up by going out to the Vågen (Harbour area) in Stavanger for a couple of nice drinks and a meal. It was jam packed being such a beautiful day and there were no shortage of Norwegian ladies out in their bra's soaking up the sun!!!! Ahh the life of an expat Aussie in Norway!

6 comments:

  1. Yeah yeah nice photos of the big rock and views. How about pics of the noggie ladies in their bras??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah sorry - I didn't have my camera with me when I saw them. Although my new zoom lens will come in handy this summer I guess ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joel - you're camera is brilliant! Well chosen me thinks :o) xx Sal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers big ears! Yeah I like it - although I think Cooba is getting sick of being the model!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emma is getting sick of being the model too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. great site gang- this must be the new joelzy: pants are on! keep us posted if u have any trips planned around summer time, going to be doing some travelling around july august september, hopefully catch kells. keep the emails coming phonebooks. sounds like things are going well. drop me a line if u guys make it to london

    ReplyDelete