Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Grandma (Gwenda) Holloway passed away 10/2/2009

It is with a very heavy heart that I write that my wonderful Grandma (Gwenda) Holloway passed away peacefully at home on Tuesday 10th February, aged 92. She was a remarkable woman who had lived a full and adventurous life. She will be missed by all of her family and friends who loved her dearly.

Joel and I will especially treasure our time with her just recently during our visit home in January. We had a lovely day with her at Patterson Lakes, and were particularly thrilled that she was able to come to our engagement party, in fact we were amazed that she stayed so long, heading home around 10.30pm! At 92 one could be excused for not being the party animal one once was!

Every time I saw her during the evening she was surrounded by family who were sitting on the floor near her feet or on the arm of a chair nearby, chatting and catching up. This same scene has been taking place for many many years every time there was a family gathering or party, and I felt it really represented how much Grandma meant to us all and vice versa. Her family were so special to her and I think she was never happier than when surrounded by her children, their wives/husbands, her grandchildren and great-grand children.

It is very sad that Grandma isn’t with us anymore, however I am trying to focus on celebrating her life rather than mourning her death. It’s what she would have wanted, and certainly she wouldn’t have wanted anyone making a ‘fuss’! I wish I could be there, especially on Tuesday, and also for the funeral on Friday and certainly feel very far away at the moment, but thanks to my lovely family and friends for your support and kind words about Grandma.


Here is a pic of Grandma from the party, with her carer Carol.

3 comments:

  1. Our thoughts are with you and Joel, and your family in Oz. Wow, what a beautiful stylish lady she was at 92! You have amazing genes, my darling! Call on us for whatever you need, and thanks so much for spending time with me and Oscar the other day. All our love, Mari & Kev and little Ossie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma

    My thoughts are with you and Joel at this time. I have been praying for so many this week including you and your family.

    Take care

    Sharyn

    ReplyDelete